Hi: 8° Lo:0°
By Gary Smee Thursday 06 December 2012 Updated: 13/12 13:33
WATER supplies have returned to homes in Broadway and surrounding villages after they were cut off for ten days.
Engineers from Severn Trent Water had been working around the clock since Friday, November 23, to try and fix the problem and the company finally confirmed water was safe to drink straight from the taps on Monday night (December 3).
The problem had been caused by a cracked pipe which led to polluted water entering the system. Customers then complained water coming out of the taps was a funny colour and did not taste right.
Residents were immediately told to start boiling water before it was used for drinking, food preparation, teeth cleaning or ice making and thousands of litres of bottled water were delivered to doors.
A spokesman for Severn Trent Water said work to repair the broken pipe was more challenging than normal because of the depth of the main and poor weather conditions.
"Following extensive and thorough water sampling we were pleased to confirm that as of 10pm on Monday night our customers’ water supply in Broadway returned to normal and is good to drink again. Customers no longer need to boil their water," the spokesman said.
"We’d like to thank all of our customers in Broadway for their support and understanding during the last ten days, we have really been encouraged by the support the local community have shown.
"Protecting our customers’ water quality is our priority, which is why we had to be completely confident that the water had returned to its usual high standards before lifting our boil water notice."
Everyone in the village received written confirmation the water is now safe to drink and staff from Severn Trent Water were outside the Horse and Hound pub in Broadway on Tuesday (December 4) to address any concerns they had.
THE FAMILY of a motorcyclist killed in a
A FARM shop owner has hit out at
A BARMAN was left in a serious condition
EIGHT Romanian men who stole thousands of metres
A PENSIONER is believed to have died shortly after an ...
A MAN from Stratford who raped a prostitute twice as ...
AN OUTBREAK of norovirus has forced a ward to close ...