Two teens hurt in serious assault

By Gary Smee 19/04 Updated: 24/04 14:46

TWO TEENAGERS were left in hospital after they were assaulted following a charity event at Evesham Rugby Club.

The boys, both aged 17, were making their way home across a field next to the club about 11.30pm last Thursday (April 12) when they were confronted by a large group of youths.

They were accused of picking a fight with someone at the event, which they claimed they knew nothing about, but the pair were still set upon by some of the group.

One of them was punched, knocked to the floor and then kicked repeatedly, including to the head, in a sustained assault. A third friend came to his aid and they made off.

They were followed by some in the group to nearby Avon Street where, outside the Ambassador Snooker Club, the teenager was punched in the head by one of them.

He then made his way to the High Street where a member of the public helped him and drove him to Evesham Minor Injuries Unit where he was treated for a large number of injuries including bruises, scratches and cuts.

Meanwhile, the second 17-year-old had also been punched to the head several times in the assault and he was then thrown into some bushes. He managed to get away from the group and made his way to Evesham Railway Station.

While on the platform he was approached by a youth from the original group who tried to goad him into a fight, but a third teenager intervened.

He also went to Evesham Minor Injuries Unit where he was transferred by ambulance to Redditch Hospital with a deep cut above his eye and he was later diagnosed with a bleed behind the eye.

Four 17-year-old boys and a 16-year-old boy have all been arrested on suspicion of GBH and malicious wounding and were bailed while inquiries continue.

Pc Sarah Nicholson at Evesham Police Station, who is investigating the incident, said: "These two lads have been the subject of a seemingly unprovoked attack at the end of a party that otherwise passed off without incident.

"It was a serious and sustained attack for which both needed hospital treatment.

"I would like to speak to anyone who witnessed any of these incidents on the rugby club field, outside the snooker club or at the railway station. I would particularly like to speak to all those who attended the party as they may be important witnesses."

PC Nicholson can be contacted via the non-emergency police number 101 or information can be passed on anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Popular Stories »

More news »

All fun at Tiddesley Wood

NATURE enthusiasts can get their hands dirty when

Farmers in fear over asparagus shortage

ONE OF the wettest April's on record has

Wet weather ruins Bank Holiday weekend

THE ORGANISERS of two of Evesham's biggest events

Park expansion plans move step closer

A MAJOR expansion and improvement of Evesham Country

Regional news »

Leamington Observer
Charity challenge for Leamington advertisers

BEING unable to make it into the office on Monday ...

Stratford Observer
Core Strategy could be 'sound' by end of year

THE LEADER of Stratford District Council insists the modifications to ...

Redditch Standard
Witness plea after teenage girl punched in the face by ...

POLICE are appealing for witnesses after an assault in Redditch. ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Business Directory »

See your advert here »