Lord spoken to before sexual attack report reveals

By Rob George 16/04 Updated: 16/04 16:54

Latest News

Buy photos » Former leader of Worcestershire County Council Dr George Lord. Picture by Marcus Mingins 3911011MMR1.

DISGRACED former county council leader George Lord was spoken to about his 'unwelcome attention' twice in the year before he sexually assaulted a 19-year-old.

Worcestershire County Council's chief executive Trish Haines confirmed she spoke to the 79-year-old following two separate complaints against him and told him his behaviour was 'inadvisable'.

She said Lord's behaviour on those occasions broke no laws and said there was 'nothing to indicate' the next offence would be a serious sexual assault.

Ms Haines comments came at the publication of an independent inquiry into how the authority supported the teenager following her complaint about the ex-Alvechurch county councillor.

The independent inquiry was undertaken by Colin Williams director of employee services at West Midlands Councils.

Lord was jailed for four years earlier this month for indecent assaults on an underage girl in the 1970s and an attack on the 19-year-old at County Hall in 2010.

The inquiry found the council responded appropriately to the report of the latter incident and the woman was very well supported throughout.

However, the authority could have done more to communicate with the teenager after the assault, the report found.

Local News »

Regional news »


Leamington Observer
Good year for West Midlands Ambulance Service

COMPLAINTS are down and compliments are up for West Midlands ...

Stratford Observer
Vulnerable 20-year-old missing from Henley

A VULNERABLE 20-year-old has been missing from Henley since Thusday ...

Redditch Standard
Commuters back on track with railway opening

RAIL commuters were back on track this morning (Monday) after ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Other Interests »

Business Directory »

See your advert here »