Burning cigarette damages Vale home

By Nigel Slater 13/03 Updated: 15/03 11:58

Latest News

Buy photos » Picture courtesy of Graham Eglen at www.fire-engine-photos.com

A VALE home was badly smoke damaged after a cigarette was left burning in the ashtray of the living room.

Fire crews from Evesham arrived at Hughes Close in Harvington just before 11.15am today (Tuesday) after a man returned to his home to find blackened windows and smoke coming from the property.

A sofa was completely destroyed in the blaze and there was also extensive fire damage to the living room.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used two hose reels to quickly bring the fire under control. The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service also attended the incident to offer the family practicial help and advice following the fire.

Station Commander Bob Sprout from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said nobody was injured but urged smokers to be careful when lighting cigarettes in their homes.

"Thankfully no one was injured during this incident and the man returned to his home before the fire spread any further," he said.

"It is National No Smoking Day tomorrow (Wednesday) and as this fire illustrates, the damage caused by smoking isn't necessarily limited to just your health."

For further information on fire safety visit www.direct.gov.uk/firekills.

Popular Stories »

More news »

Car damaged by paint stripper

A CAR owner has been left with a

Two die in coach crash

TWO PEOPLE have died and dozens were injured

Family fear for health in damp-ridden home

A MUM of three has claimed her family

Scott's hoping to run up charity cash

A TEENAGER whose life was turned upside down

Local News »

Regional news »


Leamington Observer
Power cut hits Leamington town centre

PARTS of Leamington town centre are currently without power. The ...

Stratford Observer
Make a will and help Myton Hospice

LAW firms in Stratford will be writing wills to raise ...

Redditch Standard
Birmingham hospital closes doors to county patients

A BIRMINGHAM hospital is refusing to treat patients from Worcestershire ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Other Interests »

Business Directory »

See your advert here »