Burning cigarette damages Vale home

By Nigel Slater 13/03 Updated: 15/03 11:58

Latest News

Buy photos » Picture courtesy of Graham Eglen at www.fire-engine-photos.com

A VALE home was badly smoke damaged after a cigarette was left burning in the ashtray of the living room.

Fire crews from Evesham arrived at Hughes Close in Harvington just before 11.15am today (Tuesday) after a man returned to his home to find blackened windows and smoke coming from the property.

A sofa was completely destroyed in the blaze and there was also extensive fire damage to the living room.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used two hose reels to quickly bring the fire under control. The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service also attended the incident to offer the family practicial help and advice following the fire.

Station Commander Bob Sprout from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said nobody was injured but urged smokers to be careful when lighting cigarettes in their homes.

"Thankfully no one was injured during this incident and the man returned to his home before the fire spread any further," he said.

"It is National No Smoking Day tomorrow (Wednesday) and as this fire illustrates, the damage caused by smoking isn't necessarily limited to just your health."

For further information on fire safety visit www.direct.gov.uk/firekills.

Popular Stories »

More news »

Guests evacuated during hotel blaze

GUESTS staying in an historic Vale hotel had

Olympic Torch Relay route revealed

THE ROUTE the Olympic Torch Relay will take

Long Marston development plans unveiled

DETAILED plans for the first phase of a

Torch relay sees older generation get into Olympic spirit

THERE was plenty of singing, cheering and flag

Regional news »


Leamington Observer
Crime victims to have say on punishments

VICTIMS of crime in Warwickshire can now have a say ...

Stratford Observer
More than £1.2million spent by SDC on planning appeals

MORE than £1.25 million has been spent on planning appeals ...

Redditch Standard
Thousands sample food at Alcester

THOUSANDS of visitors descended on Alcester as part of its ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Business Directory »

See your advert here »