Update
Elderly couple killed in house fire named

By Gary Smee 21/02 Updated: 23/02 11:09

AN ELDERLY couple who died following a fire at their home in Eckington have been named.

William Herring and his wife Valerie were both trapped in the house by the blaze on Friday night (February 17) and died later in hospital.

An inquest into their deaths was opened and adjourned at Worcestershire Coroners Court yesterday (Monday)

Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the smoke-filled house in Jarvis Street at just before 7.30pm and rescued Mr and Mrs Herring who were both in a critical condition.

Mrs Herring, 69, who was in cardiac arrest, was treated at the scene but later died in hospital.

Mr Herring, aged 73, suffered severe smoke inhalation and was unconscious. He was taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital but died on Monday morning (February 20).

George Sherry, area commander from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Sadly the elderly couple both lost their lives following the fire, and our thoughts go out to their family and friends."

A full investigation into the fire, which is believed to have started in the kitchen and been accidental, is now underway.

For more information and reaction from the village read Friday's Observer.

Popular Stories »

More news »

Solicitors office shut down by regulators

A SOLICITORS office in Broadway has been closed

Driver's horror after brick hurled through windscreen

A DRIVER had a miraculous escape after a

Pershore crematorium idea tabled

A PERSHORE councillor has called for a new

Town clothing store saved

EVESHAM'S Peacocks store has been saved after the

Regional news »


Leamington Observer
M40 crash gridlock

A FOUR car smash on the M40 caused gridlock on ...

Stratford Observer
M40 crash gridlock

A FOUR car smash on the M40 caused gridlock on ...

Redditch Standard
Prison absconder to stand trial for harassment

A FORMER HMP Hewell prisoner who sparked a huge police ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Business Directory »

See your advert here »