By Gary Smee 20/02 Updated: 20/02 12:21
AN ELDERLY couple have died following a fire at their home in Eckington.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the smoke-filled house in Jarvis Street at just before 7.30pm on Friday (February 17) and rescued a man and a woman who were both in a critical condition.
The 69-year-old woman, who was in cardiac arrest, was treated at the scene but later died in hospital.
The man, aged 73, suffered severe smoke inhalation and was unconscious. He was taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital but died this morning.
George Sherry, area commander from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Sadly the elderly couple both lost their lives following the fire, and our thoughts go out to their family and friends."
The couple have not been named but their next of kin have been informed of their deaths.
A full investigation into the fire, which is believed to have started in the kitchen and been accidental, is now underway.
For more information and reaction from the village read Friday's Observer.
PATIENTS with diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms are being
A TEENAGER was arrested after a wheelie bin
A FORMER mayor of Pershore who dedicated his
TALENTED youngsters are being invited to step forward
THE NATIONAL Bowls Championships in Leamington look to have provided ...
THE HISTORIC Falcon Hotel in the centre of Stratford is ...
A FUN fair has been cancelled after council officers blocked ...